Hospital bag essentials for a new mama-to-be.
It is almost your due date, and chances are you have spent the past several months dreaming of the time you finally get to meet your sweet pea earthside. You have stocked up on baby essentials, painted the nursery and maybe even figured out how to install a baby’s car seat in the first go. But do not forget the most important thing to do is to pack your hospital bag for the big day.
The items in your bag can be vital in helping your time away from home go as smoothly as possible. Your hospital will provide the most basic needs you will need during your stay and the hospital but no there is no fun in bare-bones essentials.
We have compiled a handy list of things you want or need with you in the hospital, as well as your partner, and the new arrival too!
Hospital bag checklist for mom
- Copies of your medical record, insurance card, and a few copies of your birth plan (if you have one)
- Eyeglasses or a case for your contacts (if you wear them)
- Cell phone and charger, carry a multi-plug in case want to charge two or three electronic devices at the same time
- A pair of fuzzy and nonskid socks to keep you feeling warm and toasty
- A soft bathrobe that you don’t mind giving up to the cause
- A lip balm to keep your lips from chapping
- A ponytail or headbands to keep your hair away from your face
- Toiletries such as deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, hairbrush, face wash, moisturizer ( remember, travel-sized)
- A comfortable nursing bra with no underwire, whether you plan to nurse or not, you will appreciate the leak protection and comfort of a nursing bra
- Well-fitted pair of high-waisted panties, you can’t go wrong with your fav granny panties.
- A supply of heavy flow maternity pads.
Hospital bag checklist for your baby
Here are the essentials that will come in handy once your newborn arrives
- Baby clothes: Pack 2,3 outfits of different sizes because you don’t know how big or small your baby will be
- Don’t forget to pack socks, and hats (if it’s cold)
- A blanket to keep your baby warm in the car seat for the ride home
Remember to have the right car seat set up. You won't be allowed to leave the hospital without a rear-facing car seat. ( the item won’t fit in your maternity bag, but it's an important one to include anyway)
Hospital bag checklist for your partner
- Snacks and a reusable water bottle. Try to pack things that the laboring partner will appreciate post-birth too like nuts, pretzels, protein bars, beef jerky, lollypop (great for getting rid of dry mouth during labor), etc
- A camera and a video camera to record the mega event (don’t forget to carry the charger)
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Entertainment like books to read, headphones, laptop for anything to binge-watch on Netflix
- Pillows and blankets for getting a bit of rest during downtimes.
With this hospital bag checklist, your trip to the hospital will go as smoothly and comfortably as possible.